Adding an RSS Feed to a Thunderbird RSS Account from Firefox 2.0
A reader pointed out that you are supposed to be able to add feeds directly from Firefox 2.0 to a Thunderbird RSS account, but found the feature didn't work. Unfortunately, it's not quite that direct, but I did some poking around and figured out how to do do it. The integration definitely needs work, but consider this a work-around until Mozilla gets its act together and develops a smoother process for adding feeds between the programs.
Note: See the Thunderbird RSS Tutorial if you need help setting up RSS in Thunderbird.
To add a feed directly from Firefox 2.0:
- Navigate to a site. Sites that have an RSS feed display an orange RSS symbol in the address bar.
- Click the orange symbol and a nifty little subscription page opens. See the screen shot below.
- Open Thunderbird.
- Right-click the RSS folder where you want to add the feed and select Manage Subscriptions and Feeds. The Manage Subscriptions and Feeds window opens.
- Return to Firefox, click the Subscribe to this feed using drop-down list and select Thunderbird.
- Click the Subscribe button and the Manage Subscriptions and Feeds window overlays the Firefox window.
- Click the Add button and the Feed Properties dialog box opens.
- Copy and paste the address from the Firefox address bar into the Feed Properties dialog box and click OK. The feed is added.