I'm working on an article today where I get to write about why I like Thunderbird as my email client. I'm getting started by brain storming a list of my favorite features, and of course, I listed integrated RSS as one of those features. As you know, however, if you read my blog regularly, back in January, I wrote that RSS was not working in version 1.5, and at the time I found that to be true. But today while working on my article, I tried creating a new Blog account and added a couple feeds, and lo and behold, it works!
I probably won't give up my new RSS reader, appropriately named RSSReader, because I've grown to like it, but I was certainly pleased to see that the RSS feature is working now in Thunderbird. Since I haven't upgraded, and I tested it six ways to Sunday back in January, I'm not clear why it's suddenly working as it should, but I guess I will take it.
By the way, when I tried to import my feeds from RSSReader, which exports an XML file (not an OPML file), Thunderbird could not import the RSSReader feeds. RSSReader can import XML or OPML, but Thunderbird appears to be limited to importing only OPML files.
41/7 Update: While researching an article I'm writing on what I like about Thunderbird, I have learned that the problem with RSS invovles broken feeds. If there is one broken feed, the feature stops working. The good news is Mozilla is aware of it and a fix is due out soon with the next interim release.